Las Isletas

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Day 19: Goodbyes and Thank Yous


We start today, our last day in Esteli with a "hello" and "thank you" email I received this morning from a CASA alumnus:
"Good morning Sr. Sydnor!
     I hope everything is going well in Nicaragua! I am right across the border in Honduras right now on a medical brigade with UCLA and I was just thinking about the time I spent in Nicaragua. We're in San Lorenzo right now which is in the southeast part of Honduras and I can see Nicaragua from the naval base where we're working!
     Anyways we're in a group of about 35 people and I am one of a few people who can speak Spanish semi-fluently and I've even had a few Hondurans tell me that my Spanish is pretty good! I'm pretty sure that those few years with you and Sr. Rivera really helped me, of course, but what I think really helped me remember how to speak Spanish was my trip to Nicaragua. I just wanted to say thank you for the experience there, I really had a good time and thank you for giving me something I would never have had otherwise! I hope both your and Sr. Rivera's families are doing well and that your trip has been fun!"

Emails like that capture the very reason why Sr. Rivera and I started the CASA program almost seven years ago.  The rest of the day followed a variation on that theme in which the boys prepared their various "thank you" and "goodbye" speeches.
 Swapping worn out shoes for a newer pair

 A great fathers day gift

In the morning we donated the rest of our shoes from VA Runner to a small rural school.  We gave each of the teachers a pair, and when we ran out of sizes for the students, we gave them shoes for their father since tomorrow is Fathers Day in Nicaragua.
Having some fun on the last day

 One last lesson

 Organizing our school supplies for each class

 The official hand off







 Getting ready for the pinata

 Spinning around first




Trying to find that rascaly carrot

 It's harder than it seems

 Now that's a new technique

K.O. the carrot




Make sure it is on right

 Some experienced words of wisdom

 "Use the force, Luke"




This afternoon we returned to the Aldea where the boys taught their last class and then donated the last of the school supplies to each of their classrooms before being treated to a pinata and some games.  The boys got to say goodbye and thank you to their students, and they commented when they got on the bus that this afternoon was full of mixed emotions.  They were glad they had completed this part of the program because it was hard work, but they were also going to miss their students who had worked so hard and come so far.
 The last supper







"Thank you"










 Saying "goodbye"



In the evening we had our farewell dinner with our host families.  At the end of the meal each of the boys got up and thanked his host family.  There was a significant difference in the tone tonight compared to their first dinner with their host family almost two weeks ago.  Tonight the boys were completely comfortable and engaged with their host families.  When it came time for them to stand up and thank their families, our boys did a great job.  Again, they were relieved to be one night away from starting the vacation part of the program, and yet, they were clearly touched by the generosity, hospitality, and patience their host families provided every day.

Tomorrow we leave Esteli for Granada.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to post a comment about our trip.